101 Things in 1001 Days — no. 2
This is my second time around doing this project. It was quite an interesting experiment the first time doing it but 1001 days past and I’ve learnt a lot about setting goals, sticking to them and finally achieving them ! It’s a great feeling & this helps me keep accountable.
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).
Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past – frequently simple goals such as New Year’s resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organizing and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.
Some common goal setting tips:
- Be decisive. Know exactly what you want, why you want it, and how you plan to achieve it.
- Stay Focused. Any goal requires sustained focus from beginning to end. Constantly evaluate your progress.
- Welcome Failure. Frequently, very little is learned from a venture that did not experience failure in some form. Failure presents the opportunity to learn and makes the success more worthy.
- Write down your goals. It clarifies your thinking and reinforces your commitment.
- Keep your goals in sight. Review them frequently, and ensure that they are always at the forefront of your thinking.
For my first list, go here.
Start Date: Sunday October 17th, 2010
End Date: Sunday July 14th 2013
Number of Items Completed: 17/101
Red Bold Text = Finished with Completion Date
Green Bold Text = In Progress
1. a job that I enjoy doing
2. one obscure skill & own it
3. an église to go to regularly
4. the queen song
5. the Motherland
6. Lebanon (preferably with Nicole)
7. road trip somewhere
8. every state in Australia (even the dodgy ones)
9. la famille in Malaysia
10. Nippon, the land of kawaii-desu ! (Jan 24th – Feb 5th 2012)
11. get dowsed in holy water
12. 40 days of purpose
13. out of curiosity, get a basic understanding of Scientology
14. start a cult .. joking, club.
15. graduate (2011)
16. own something that goes vroom vroom (April 2011)
17. work somewhere else besides Melbourne (e.g France)
18. action on Quest in Cavendish
19. scrobble 50,000 tracks on last.fm
20. beat everyone’s score on singstar
21. finish all levels of u-block !
22. grow hair down to butt
23. learn to speak more than ‘bing bong ching chong‘
24. create a blogging schedule (22 Oct 2010)
25. spend a night under the stars
26. create my own theory on something trivial
27. try balayage (22 Oct 2010)
28. dress in disguise for one day
29. wear the same outfit for a whole week – be creative !
30. buy a bunch of random ingredients –> cook ! (28th February 2011)
31. go paint-balling
32. figure out how to pick a lock or something equally as dodgy
33. snap 10 sunrises on polaroid (3/10)
34. throw a surprise party (19 Dec 2011)
35. smoke a shisha
36. a letter to myself to be opened in 10 yrs (min. 1000 words)
37. my own 10 commandments similar to This I Believe
38. 5 emails to people I haven’t spoken to for more than a year
39. dream journal (7 Feb 2011)
40. get a type writer and type a story with it
41. time capsule
42. 10 empty bottle reviews (1/10)
43. 10 songs/poems
44. writing instruments (13 Nov 2010)
45. on [subject] x 5
46. family tree including stories
47. create my own 101 quality lists post
48. create a font out of my own handwriting
49. write a letter and post it unmarked
50. 5 important books recommended by 5 important people in my life
51. 20 books (5/20)
52. a book in French
53. leave 10 anon post-it notes in borrowed books
54. lire tous les mangas que j’ai acheté
55. read all the harry potter books already!
56. 100 foreign films (10/100)
57. a stand up comic (30 March 2011)
58. a musical (26 June 2011)
59. a ballet
60. one film at palace cinema at least every 2 months (3/16)
61. a festival de la musique
62. catch up with Bleach animé
63. finish FFX
64. vingt ukulele covers (7/20)
65. write a song, sing it, no matter how bad it is (18 Oct 2010)
66. finish Claire de Lune
67. themed mixtape for every alphabet (1/26)
68. listen & catalogue all of parents’ long-plays
69. tune piano (not myself of course !)
70. get my hands on fish eye lens in any way possible (April 2011)
71. photo-essay neighbourhood
72. snap people’s shoes at parties
73. project 365
74. make art that I feel worthy of hanging up
75. make a look-book & update it at least once/3 months
76. test the ‘apple a day keeps the doctor away’ theory
77. 20 different bars (4/20)
78. 20 different coffee joints (1/20)
79. compile a cookbook of all my favourite (successful) recipes
80. clean kitchen cupboards, head to toe
81. give blood (25 Sept 2011)
82. charity walk/marathon (13 May 2012)
83. live off $5/day/week
84. Big Issue at least once/3 months (1/x)
85. 10% of paycheck to charity
86. “no reason” gifts (2011)
87. get a facial
88. wax on, wax off
89. organise face/body stuff (January 2011)
90. manicure them 2/yr (2/4)
91. organise closet
92. clean out old/clothes/items that is collecting dust (January 2012)
93. take up swimming again (Sept 2011)
95. go to a pilates class
96. spark for 3 months